Scar Revision Philadelphia
A scar forms when a surgical or traumatic wound heals. Simple structures under the skin such as fat and the subcutaneous tissues regenerate. The skin is a complex structure and heals by the formation of a predominantly fibrous tissue, resulting in a scar. Sometimes scars form and are inconspicuous; other times, they may be disfiguring.
Examples of disfiguring scars include keloids, widened scars, and thickened hypertrophic scars. Both keloid and hypertrophic scars are wounds that heal in excess above the skin surface.The difference between a keloid and a hypertrophic scar is that a keloid continues to enlarge beyond the original size and shape of the wound, while a hypertrophied scar enlarges within the confines of the original wounded area. Although both can be red and raised, keloids continue to grow and hypertrophic scars tend to regress over time. Both can recur after surgical excision; however, the recurrence of keloid scars is more common. Widened scars are wounds that separate during the healing process, usually in response to excess tension on the wound edges.
In New Jersey, board certified plastic surgeons are extensively trained in facial reconstructive surgery and have many tools as well as techniques at their disposal to provide revision.
Surface treatment options to remove scar tissue include:
- Dermabrasion: a common method of mechanically polishing the skin
- Laser therapy: fundamentally causes surface changes that allow new skin to form over the scar
- Chemical peel: synthetic compounds in solution form that penetrate the surface of the skin in order to soften distortions in texture and color.
- Skin bleaching: topical medications applied to lighten the skin and reduce the appearance of scar tissue
Non-Surgical Revision Methods
- Silicone Gel – In studies it has been shown to significantly decrease scar volume when used over time.
- Steroid Injections – Injections induce flattening and fading.
- Vitamin E therapy.
- Zinc Oxide therapy.
- Antineoplastic Agents.
Surgical Revision Methods
- The BEST method is prevention by utilizing proper multi-layer cosmetic closure of all surgical incisions.
- Primary Excision or Serial Excision.
- Excision with Flap Reconstruction.
- Z and W plasty techniques.
- Tissue Expansion and serial excision.
- Fat Grafting for depressed Scars.
- Irradiation for persistent keloid formation.
Dr. Anthony Corrado Discusses Facelift
- “It is my pleasure to share with you my thoughts on Dr. Anthony Corrado. I have scrubbed with him in surgery many times during his cosmetic surgery fellowship with us. Anthony is a gifted surgeon with a keen aesthetic eye. He also has the skills and experience to achieve great results for his patients. The natural and easy rapport he develops with his patients creates a perfect environment for making their dreams a reality.”
Dr. Drew Ordon co-host of CBS television’s “The Doctors”
- “After doing my “due diligence” and interviewing several well-known and recommended plastic surgeons in the New Jersey/Philadelphia medical communities, I chose Dr. Corrado to perform my cosmetic surgery. My choice was an informed one and in hindsight, the correct one. I wanted a natural result that left me looking like myself only without the visible signs of aging. Dr. Corrado is expert at creating a natural look and I could not be happier with the outcome.”
- “I couldn’t have asked for a better experience with Dr. Corrado & his
staff. They were very friendly and made me feel well taken care of every step of the way. Great service, great job…I would recommend Dr. Anthony Corrado to anyone.”
- “I knew from my first visit with Dr. Corrado that I would be a lifelong
patient. He made me feel very relaxed and provided me with an in-depth understanding of Botox. I no longer look angry and love my results. Rest assured you are in good hands with Dr. Corrado.”
- “I had a great experience with Dr. Corrado and I highly recommend him. I had upper eyelid blepharoplasty and I couldn’t be happier with the results. Dr. Corrado and his office made me feel extremely comfortable and calm from the very first visit. Having never had surgery of any kind before I was very nervous, but as it turns out I didn’t need to be. There was no pain and my recovery went very smoothly thanks to the level of care that I received from the doctor. I’ve already recommended Dr. Corrado to all of my friends, and he would be my only choice if I decide on future procedures .”
- “I had puffy areas on the top of my cheek bones that literally disappeared and my dark spots lightened while my skin tone improved overall. I was very pleased with the results and would recommend him to my friends. Doctor Corrado did a great job at making me feel at ease during the procedure and followed up with calls to ensure any questions I might have were answered.”
- “There are many fine plastic surgeons and Anthony Corrado is one of them. What makes him special is not only the wonderful results but the personalized and caring attention that he gives to his patients. He is a talented doctor and an empathetic person.”
- “When I first met Dr. Corrado I just knew he would take good care of me. His concern for my well being put me at ease and allowed me to relax and enjoy my amazing transformation. Thanks to him I now look as young as I feel and I highly recommend him to anyone. You will love your new look.”
- “Dr. Anthony Corrado performed a facial rejuvenation procedure and rhinoplasty on me. I must say that the consultation was very pleasant and the procedure was painless. I highly recommend Dr. Corrado. His professionalism and impeccable work ethic have made him my favorite surgeon. I am extremely happy with the results I obtained and will gladly go back to him for any other procedure in the future.”
- “Working with Dr. Corrado has been one of the best decisions I have ever made! With his experiences and my hopes and dreams…we have succeeded together in making me a very happy and much younger looking grandmother of 8! Every step of the way, he made me feel comfortable with making my own decisions, with his suggestions and all have been successful. I get compliments quite often. Thank you Dr. Corrado! I would highly recommend your work to Anyone!”
- “Dr Corrado is just fantastic! I was very happy with my results. He is very compassionate & his “bedside manner” is perfect. He took the time to explain everything to me & answered all my questions. He made me feel very relaxed thru the surgery & all my appts. I would recommend him highly–he is definitely the best in his field! I have nothing but praise for Dr. Corrado.”
- “Dr. Corrado does amazing work on the face. He is a highly trained and skilled surgeon. I have been very happy with the procedures he has done for me. I would definitely recommend Dr. Corrado.”